Thursday, August 5, 2010

Procrastination

Fitting for a first post is a topic that is near to my heart...is that weird, that procrastination is near to my heart? Well it is nonetheless...I excel at putting things off - I consider it a character flaw, but in it's simplest form, an attribute. Are you shaking your head (as most of my close friends would if they were to read this)? Let me explain...I like to do things well, not halfway, not almost done, but seriously 'all done' ; which leads me to procrastinate often because I simply don't have time to get a task done, which makes it worse and then it builds up a bigger task, well you get the idea. But do I really "not have time" or am I just procrastinating until I really don't have time.

My pastor spoke this past week about being a good steward of time, and his sermon should've come with a supply of bandaids for the toes being stepped on and bloodied, especially mine. One of the verses he shared was from Romans 13:11-14...the version below is from The Message bible:

"But make sure that you don't get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God. The night is about over, dawn is about to break. Be up and awake to what God is doing! God is putting the finishing touches on the salvation work he began when we first believed. We can't afford to waste a minute, must not squander these precious daylight hours in frivolity and indulgence, in sleeping around and dissipation, in bickering and grabbing everything in sight. Get out of bed and get dressed! Don't loiter and linger, waiting until the very last minute. Dress yourselves in Christ, and be up and about!"

Yeah, I know...that's some serious stuff...I thought so too...but here's where I'm at ~ I struggle with being SO busy that I don't get anything done. That seems like an oxymoron, right? Well I have time, of course, to get everything done, but I make time for many other things, like watching TV, instead of doing the things I never have time for.

Part of the sermon spoke to the concept of reaping what I sow - and one of the notes I took was this: I can't expect to sow a lot when I give a little to God....what a simple statement, but applicable in so many aspects of my life. I can't expect to have a spotless house, a skinny body or anything else I desire, if I'm not willing to do the work. I can't expect to have the life God wants for me when I won't be a good steward of my time, both in bible study and efforts in my everyday life...there is simply NO room for procrastination...plain and simple.

Ok, not so simple...but here's to working on that! Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment