Friday, September 11, 2015

Friday - Remembering September 11th

As I scroll through my news feed on Facebook, look at Instagram or Twitter today, there's no way that you can't know what today is.  I remember where I was when the first plane hit.  In the car taking my daycare kids to preschool.  I heard it on the radio, proceeded to drop the kids off, almost in disbelief and not really sure what I was hearing or what it meant.  I went home and turned on the television just as the second plane hit the other tower and remember gasping thinking this can't be happening, and could it have been on purpose?  Obviously we found out it was and still today we are haunted with the images of the aftermath, the gruesome reminders that loved ones will never come home and many lives are forever changed.

I was a different person then.  I was married on September 11, 1999 to a firefighter.  By 2001 we were not happily married due to many circumstances and ended up divorcing a while later.  But I distinctly remember thinking - those wives and husbands sent their spouses to work that day as I did many times knowing that they had dangerous jobs, but they "would" come home again safe and sound.  But so many didn't.  They died doing what they loved and would probably do it again if they had the chance.  It's what they did.  There is a mentality that one has in emergency services and it's not just a job - it's their life.  My ex-husband is still a fireman today, but is a battalion chief who doesn't man a hose or drive a truck anymore, but I'm pretty sure that faced with the decision to save a life, he'd get his white shirt dirty in a heartbeat.

Like many I was glued to my tv for days, crying at the images, so sad for those left behind.  Evil comes in many shapes and forms...that day it came as hijackers, trained to die and leave a path of destruction as far and wide as they could.  We are still cleaning up that mess today - it's so sad to see evil's hand at work in the world, and leaders seemingly turning a blind eye to the events like September 11, 2001.

My prayer for today as we remember is, let's pray for the future of America - for the lives of those still here, the lives of our children growing up in a messed up world full of corruption and self centeredness.  As God is being removed by different branches of government more and more, I wonder - how far does it go before we realize that "one nation UNDER God" and "in God we trust"  are more than just words on our currency and in our pledge. 

Hugs and love to all of you reading this - may your lives never be impacted by the hurt and anguish of those families on that fateful September day

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment