Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Leading, Following and Getting out of the Way

Do you remember the old bumper sticker that says Lead, Follow or Get out of My Way?  I have had that thought in my head for a couple of days and thought I'd try to formulate some coherent thoughts about it in a post. 

Lead(ing) I have been and still am in many ways a leader.  I lead my children everyday in various activities, I lead my four legged children by their leashes, I lead the praise band by making song selections and playing the main instrument...you get the idea.  I also recognize that to be a leader, I must be a follower.  First and foremost a follower of Jesus.  Which I don't always excel at, but I am becoming more and more aware of on a daily basis.  But also following the leadership of those in ministry around me, the relationship leadership of a strongly valued Christian boyfriend and following the path that I am seeing laid out before me.  I have to get out of the way in order for this to be possible!

Does that make crystal clear sense to you like it does me?  It seems fairly simple.  In order to be an effective leader, a Christian example that is able to do His work through the gifts, talents and opportunities I am given, I must first be a follower who is willing to put self aside and get out of my own way in order to grow spiritually and thrive.  Well if it's so simple, why am I not doing it?  Yeah, I'm puzzled by that too.  But I know that I'm saved by grace and thank goodness for that, because it means He loves me anyway even when I don't get it right.

I am stepping out in faith towards a big decision in my future and I am praying hard about it and that I am not only making the right decision, but also preparing my heart for what lies ahead.  To be a leader, a follower and getting the heck out of my own way.  I am off to do some prayer and bible study time while my kids nap...but I wanted to throw out these random thoughts in hope that they might encourage someone and so that I can see it in black and white for myself.

My prayer for today....Lord, help me be an effective leader, following YOU and those around me that are called to impact my life and help me get out of the way so that YOU may do YOUR work in and through me! Amen

Blessings to all who have stumbled upon this post!
S

No comments:

Post a Comment