Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Zealously Jealous? Think about it!

So if you've read my blog before you know I love John Mark McMillan's song (hear the story behind the song by clicking here)  called "How He Loves".  I have linked before to David Crowder's version, but in case you missed that...click here to see it.  That song just keeps rolling around in my head - maybe I'm finally figuring out why...

My pastor shared Sunday about zealously serving and being zealous for things that matter, like really matter.  It has me thinking...God IS jealous for me AND zealous about that jealousy.  Let me repeat that.  God is a jealous God, this we read in Exodus, 2 Corinthians and Deuteronomy to name a few places.  But what I'm trying to wrap my head around is that He loves me, little ol' imperfect, haven't quite figured out where I'm going yet, me.  And He loves me zealously.  Seriously!  That's a lot to take in, and even as someone who's been a believer as long as I can remember - that is hard to grasp.  The God of the universe, who made all things, knows all things, even down to the number of hairs on my head - jealously loves me with so much zeal that I can't even begin to comprehend. 

But I am called, as a believer to "Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord" Romans 12:11.  The verses that follow speak to how we should live and treat others...what keeps rolling around in my head is this..Not only should I "bless those who persecute me" (personalized for myself from Romans 12:14) - I should do that zealously?  Hmmm...that's an interesting thought - I know God loves me that way...of course He does.  He died on the cross for me, a sinner, and did it willingly.  For me to be zealous about serving, zealous about talking AND walking the walk.  That's a little intimidating, dontcha think?

I've written before about my lack of motivation, my great skills of procrastination and how those things have affected my life.  But I've also been using the mindset that "well, it only affects me...no one else sees my messy bedroom or my dishes in the sink or my...well, you get the idea, right? But it appears as though I have been missing the point.  In Colossians 3:22-23 it says "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything, and do it, not only when their eye is on you, and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.  Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working FOR THE LORD, not for men." (emphasis added by me).  What's that?  I'm supposed to work like someone IS watching even when they aren't? AND do it in reverence to the Lord.  Well dang...guess that means I need an attitude adjustment...now there's a shocker....NOT!  I am the queen of excuses to myself - even though I hate to receive excuses from others...kinda ironic, huh!?!

So, here's what I'm taking from this morning's look at things...Serving the Lord with zeal is an act of submission and out of reverence to Him.  I pray for my life to be less crazy, yet do I really submit myself to helping myself do it? Even if it means asking for help when I'm overwhelmed or saying "no" instead of doing yet one more thing to take me away from the house to avoid the "mess"?  I ask Him to help me be motivated to lose weight, work out more and be comfortable in my own body, yet do I really take the steps that I already know will help in those efforts?  No, if I'm honest, which I am being right now, I don't "want" to do the hard stuff.  I don't want to clean up the kitchen before sitting down in from of the TV for the rest of the night.  I am lacking the zeal.  In the little things as well as some of the big.  But God loves me zealously. In spite of those things. He is jealous for me - and I want to be a witness for Him.  In a world that quite frankly, isn't so zealous for anybody but themselves, generally speaking.  I am called to go tell...go "be the church" as my pastor says at the end of every service on Sunday.  I need to do that with zeal, with passion, with love...I'm going to spend some time in prayer about that. 

If you've read this far, first of all, bless you! Secondly...think about it...How much better would your life be if you were zealously jealous?  Partner with me in prayer - I'm thinking God is going to use this for me in a big way...maybe He will for you too!

Blessings,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment